If you missed it, tampon brand Lil-Lets recently unveiled an appalling ad ‘starring’ some women from TOWIE:
We have so many problems with this.
- This is not how women speak to one another
- No one has ever asked another woman if they’ve tried a particular brand of tampon (WHY)
- The penis comparisons. Again, WHY? Can we only talk about periods if we relate them to sex?
- The dialogue: “This is nice and girthy, babes”
- The only woman of colour in the entire ad is a toilet attendant
- NONE OF THIS BILGE IS “TAMPON TRUTHS”
Thankfully, an anonymous creative team by the name of The Painters have taken it upon themselves to fix it. Their version is a fair bit longer, but addresses some *actual* truths:
I can’t say I identified with all the truths in the parody ad, but it’s a great idea nonetheless – and someone really needed to call out the original.
The Painters say they aren’t trying to attack Lil-Lets, but are “playfully commenting on how tampon and sanitary ads hardly ever represent real period truths.”
Amen to that.
Main image: Lil-Lets via YouTube